When you come home at night & need to come up with something quick to prepare that is not too heavy but still filling & tasty – this 3-bean soup paired with this so moist corn bread is the perfect meal to a cold & snowy night. This is a very healthy soup recipe packed with protein & greens. This is also a perfect meal for my girls when they’re having bad coughs & colds or flu.
3 – Bean Soup with Homemade Corn Bread
(prep & cook time: approx 20-30 mins)
3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or Canola oil)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 small package white mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 lb. lean ground chicken (can be substituted with lean ground turkey)
1 ½ tbsp good Thai fish sauce
freshly ground black pepper
1 can Rotel Original
1 can Bush’s Navy Bean, drained
1 can Bush’s Blackeye Peas,drained
1 can Bush’s Red Bean,drained
1 box 32 oz reduced sodium Swanson chicken broth
1/3 c fresh chopped cilantro
1 bag fresh organic baby spinach
French’s Fried Onions (for toppings)
Serving size: 6- 8
- Heat skillet & add grapeseed oil. Saute chopped garlic until golden brown.
- Stir in the chopped onions until caramelized.
- Add next the ground chicken & cook it until brown, stirring occasionally – about 10 mins. Cover.
- Mix chicken mixture with fish sauce & ground black pepper. Stir for 2 more mins.
- Add sliced mushrooms & stir for a minute. Cover.
- Add Rotel & stir for a minute.Cover.
- Add all 3 drained beans & stir for a minute.
- Pour the chicken broth & mix. Cover & simmer for additional 5 mins.
- Turn off heat – add chopped cilantro & spinach. Cover for 2 mins.
- Stir well the soup before serving to bowls.
- Top with French’s fried onions. Serve with freshly-baked corn bread.
Homemade Corn Bread
1 large egg
1 box 425 g Krusteaz Natural Honey Cornbread
1/2 c Daisy sour cream
1/3 c Agave Nectar (can be substituted with honey)
1/4 c Canola oil
- Pre-heat oven to 395 deg.F
- Grease iron skillet with Canola cooking spray
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir until fully mixed. Pour mixture to the skillet.
- Bake for 25 mins. or until top is light golden brown.
- Let it cool for 10 mins. before serving.