I’ve been obsessed with red velvet cake. So I created this little guilty pleasure version of decadent cupcakes with a twist – added some chocolate chips inside to create a gooey bite. Also I opted to not to frost it with any overwhelming sugary/greasy icing but just added a small dollop of whipped cream cheese icing just to hold up the heart marshmallow.
Red Velvet Chocolate Cupcake
1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup Canola oil
4 tbsp. Daisy Light Sour Cream
Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Heart-shaped pink marshmallows
- Follow the baking instructions from the cake mix box – adding the sour cream before blending all the ingredients.
- Make 24 regular size cupcakes or 12 large ones.
- Drop 5 pieces of chocolate chips on the middle of each cupcakes or 10 pieces of chips for the large ones.
- Bake for 350 deg. F for 20 mins.
- Let it completely cool (say an hour) before adding a teaspoon of cream cheese on top of each cupcake & add a marshmallow on top of the cream cheese.